From the beginning to the end, aka the State Exam, of my Superintendent Certification Program at Lamar University
Thursday, November 4, 2010
Intern Plan review with Dr. Ealy
After several revisions and great feedback from classmates, I took the semi-final draft of my intern plan and had Dr. Ealy offer his opinion on it's value. While he agreed that all 38 areas in the plan needed to be covered and had value, there were some areas where special attention will need to be paid. While curriculum related topics are very important, the plan was seen as curriculum heavy in number of assignments. as a superintendent, you will need to have a knowledge of these areas, but its the day to day operational pieces that Dr. Ealy advised that I spend my most hours on. Whether it being learning how to plan a district budget, going over personnel issues, deciding pay formulas, or analyzing and evaluating the running of the physical plant, my focus need to be in the day to day operations of the district. As a campus administrator, you get very little practice in these areas, so making the jump from campus to district administrator can be very difficult without experience in these areas. As a result, my plan will be geared towards these areas, starting yesterday when I attended the district level administrative meeting (SUCCESS Team in College Station ISD). This meeting, typically attended by the Superintendent's cabinet and head campus principals, is joint leadership and decision making at it's finest. Attending these meetings will be very valuable and give me a great deal added knowledge as to the decision making process at the district level.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Chris,
ReplyDeleteI started attending these same meetings in our district. I am also in on the district budget meeting at the end of the year. This is the meeting where the principals and super sit down with the budget and hash out needs and wants. It can sometimes get exciting and spirited. Great post.
Great post Chris...I believe that all Superintendents feel that the majority of their duties are dealing with day to day operations. I believe other areas are important but do listen to your Supt. it sounds like he will teach you and guide you in the right direction.
ReplyDeleteMy superintendent agrees with the budget aspect. He has insisted that I attend all finance meetings now instead of only the ones that concern my projects.
ReplyDelete